Tuesday, July 27, 2004

"Every dark cloud has its silver lining, but lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it."
 -Despair.com

Today was a day of silver linings for me.  However, it's all a matter of perspective, and whether or not the proverbial silver lining is worth getting struck by the proverbial lightning.  Here's a quick rundown.

Silver Lining: Today, I learned that I'm not allergic to bee or wasp stings.  Usually, in order to determine one's allergies, one has to go through an unpleasant process in which a series of needles introduce alergen into a person's system in order to induce a skin reaction.  However, I managed to get around that and I'm feeling much more well informed.

Lightning Strike: I found this out the hard way.  Today, I was painting at a job site where the exterior of the house was infested with insects and spiders of all types.  Having been responsible for cleaning and painting, I had to manually pick out spider webs and cocooned insects from crevices.  And that was the more pleasant things I had to deal with.  I have about a dozen or so mosquito bites covering my arms, legs, and face from the first day when I didn't remember to bring insect repellant.  And about those wasp stings?  I had no idea that they could actually sting a person through their clothing.  I have one on my left ass-cheek and on the inside of my left thigh.

Silver Lining: Today, those kind helpful painters gave a sincere apology and voluntarily removed the paint splatters from my car which they got on by mistake.

Lightning Strike: What is this, rocket science?  Having been surrounded by construction, the car is understandably dirty, not including the paint overspray.  If you wash your car, you have to rinse it off first so you don't grind the dirt into the paint.  Guess what.  Allegedly, "The guy doesn't speak good English."  Call me culturally insensitive if you will, but since when is that a legitimate excuse?

Silver Lining: I managed to get registered for all my courses at Douglas College.

Lightning Strike: And that's the only thing I achieved today because I slept in and played video games for most of the day when I wasn't working.  I got next to nothing achieved.  I still haven't done a second draft of my article, my laundry isn't put away, and I still haven't eaten even though it's 10:30. 

The Monty Python troup put it best:

"Life's a piece of shit / When you look at it / Life's a laugh and death's a joke it's true / You'll see it's all a show / Keep 'em laughing as you go / Just rememer that the last laugh is on you."
 -"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: