Sunday, April 17, 2005

Survey Postmortem

Mortem is correct. After about a week, I have one single response. This leads me to the conclusion that someone has been repeatedly clicking on the "refresh" button on their browser whenever reading my blog.

Wandering Thoughts

Being that I ride the bus or walk to get everywhere now ($1.05/litre? I don't think so!), I now have a lot more time to myself. Some of that time is spent napping, some of it spent reading (almost finished reading The Bourne Identity...after about two or three false starts). But, given enough time spent alone, you start thinking stuff.

Like, has anybody ever noticed that there has never been any television advertisment for hybrid vehicles like the Toyota Prius or the Honda Insight? Partly due to my schedule and my newfound awareness of my energy impact, I've been watching a lot less television, I'll admit. But even still, I can't ever recall seeing a television commercial for a hybrid vehicle. I've seen lots of commercials for SUVs, trucks, minivans, and sports cars, all of which consume a lot more fuel, but never one for a more fuel efficient vehicle.

Sure, compacts like the Mini Cooper (which gets less mileage than a Hyundai Elantra) and the Pontiac Wave (which can be parallel parked by going in perpendicular to the sidewalk) have been getting a lot of air time, but not for hybrid.

The grassroots movement towards purchasing hybrids is promising, though, as there is significantly more demand than supply (as it is, the waiting list for a Prius can be months). This gives me some level of hope for an energy constrained future. It also gives me hope that I have yet to see a television advertisement for a Hummer, which swallows gas at 10 miles per gallon.

Meanwhile, I'm shopping around for a bicycle.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: