Sunday, September 19, 2004

EXT. HIGH SCHOOL -- DAY

The school year is close to coming to an end and the freshman girls who are starting up the next year are undergoing their annual hazing ritual. As hormonal teenaged boys watch, young girls are paraded out, where they are doused with flour and raw eggs.

DARLA (16) has the young girls lined up where they are sprayed with ketchup and mustard while SHAVONE (17) sprays them with whipping cream.

Attaching a dog collar to a FRESHMAN GIRL (13), she parades her over to where a group of boys are sitting.

SHAVONE
Propose to Mr. Dawson.

Upon command, the freshman girl drops to her knees to Dawson (18).
FRESHMAN GIRL
Will you marry me?

DAWSON
What's in it for me?

FRESHMAN GIRL
Anything you want.

DAWSON
Anything?

FRESHMAN GIRL
Anything.

DAWSON
Go like this. [opens mouth suggestively] Do you spit or swallow?

FRESHMAN GIRL
Whatever you like.

DAWSON
Whatever I like? I would definitely marry you.

(Adapted from a scene in "Dazed and Confused" (1993))

The question of whether or not to spit or swallow has been on my mind for the past two weeks. The choice that one makes seems to be directly split across gender lines, and to a lesser extent, cultural habits.

On a personal and intimate level, it's not preferred. Spitting is considered impolite, and downright rude in most instances. Ultimately, it's the act of expelling material from one's mouth and when one is doing so, they are making a statement as to their true feelings, and not just because they don't like the taste.

Some feel that it is more important to swallow. This makes complete sense, and was even the topic of a history class I took in university a few years ago. There was a time when the practice of spitting was actually banned in some instances. And why not? It's not pleasant to watch and regardless of changing female roles in today's society, it's not very lady-like.

As to my thoughts on the matter? I'd prefer it if everybody swallowed. Heck, I swallow too. Since I came down with a cold a few weeks ago, I've been coughing up all sorts of fun stuff. Being that I'm usually indoors and far away from a sink or toilet, I do not have the option of running towards an area to expel whatever it is that's in my mouth. Ironically, it's only when I'm engaged in the act of spitting do I actually taste it. And I really hate the taste.


(C'mon, people. What did you THINK this was going to be about?)

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: